Arroz con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas). Gandules (aka pigeon peas) are an exotic ingredient to most folks outside of the Caribbean. Arroz con gandules freezes very well, so make a big batch and portion it into storage bags for a quick weeknight side dish. To reheat, transfer into a microwave safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
Arroz con gandules is a combination of rice, pigeon peas, and pork, cooked in the same pot with sofrito. This is Puerto Rico's national dish along with roasted pork. This dish is mainly served during Christmas season or for special occasions. You can cook Arroz con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas) using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Arroz con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas)
- Prepare 2 cups of Uncooked Rice.
- You need 1 of medium Onion small diced.
- It’s 1 can of Gandules (Pigeon Peas)(can substitute Garbanzos).
- It’s 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil.
- It’s 1-8 oz. of can Tomato Sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of Minced Garlic.
- You need 1/8 cup of +/- Capers.
- You need 1/4 cup of Pimento Stuffed Olives halved.
The sofrito is the most important part of seasoning the rice. Arroz Con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas) is a Puerto Rican dish popular in the Carribean. Keywords: arroz con gandules, how to make puerto rican rice and beans, puerto rican rice and beans recipe, Rice and Pigeon Peas, spanish rice and beans. Arroz con Gandules is the meal everyone in the Caribbean enjoys for the holidays or other celebrations with family and friends.
Arroz con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas) step by step
- In an appropriate sized skillet, add Olive Oil, Sofrito. Sautee for 3-5 minutes until oils are released and it becomes aromatic..
- Add Onion and Garlic taking care not to burn Garlic. Sautee until Onions are transleucent.
- Add Tomato sauce and Sazon seasoning. Stir to combine..
- Add Rice to coat with all contents..
- Add Water, Capers and Olives. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes or until water is absorbed. No peeking for 20 minutes..
- If you wish to form "Pegao" or the slight charring of the rice to the bottom of the pot, research a little to keep from ruining your batch. But at the end, you'll turn up the heat for a short period of time keeping a close eye and nose!.
After all, rice and pigeon peas is the classic holiday meal. This Arroz con Gandules recipe only needs a few essential GOYA® pantry staples, so your family can. Pernil without arroz con gandules is like turkey without stuffing—the arroz completes any holiday meal in the Greater Antilles (especially Puerto Rico, Cuba Scatter pigeon peas over. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover saucepan and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.