Arroz con pollo (rice with chicken). How to make Arroz Con Pollo! Great all in one chicken and rice dish with peppers and olives- great Winter comfort food! Mama's Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice also known as Arroz con Pollo.
Ingredients of Arroz con pollo (rice with chicken)
- Prepare 3 cups of basmati rice.
- It’s 6 of chicken pieces (preferably thighs and drumsticks).
- Prepare 500 ml of chicken stock.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of Sunflower/olive oil.
- You need of All purpose seasoning.
- You need of Salt.
- It’s of Black Pepper.
- It’s of Fresh Thyme (3 sprigs).
- You need 3 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 of medium onion (roughly chopped).
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic (crushed).
- You need of Bell peppers- 1 red, 1 green (deseeded and thinly sliced).
- You need 2 of deseeded thinly sliced scotch bonnets.
- Prepare 4 cm of root ginger (finely chopped).
- You need 2 tsp of turmeric.
In the Dominican Republic it is alternately called locrio de pollo. Make Arroz con Pollo tonight–everyone loves an easy rice and chicken dish. The Classic Caribbean and Spanish Meal–Arroz con Pollo–is a popular staple in the Caribbean kitchen. Our chicken and rice is extra special with the addition of Sazon GOYA® with Azafran, which adds color.
Arroz con pollo (rice with chicken) step by step
- In a bowl, wash rice until water runs clear.
- Season chicken pieces with all purpose seasoning, black pepper and salt. Heat oil in a heavy based frying pan and brown chicken on all sides. (Do not cook through).
- Remove chicken and set aside..
- Sauté garlic, onions and peppers in the pan. Add ginger, turmeric and scotch bonnet and stir for about 1min..
- Transfer chicken into a large oven dish (chicken pieces should all be on a single layer) add the sautéed ingredients above and pour the rice all over the chicken. Pour in the chicken stock and add bay leaves, thyme sprigs and season everything in the dish really well..
- Cover with foil and place dish in the oven..
- Cook on gas mark 4 for 40-45mins until all the stock has been absorbed, rice and chicken are cooked (pierce the chicken and if the juice runs clear then it's cooked!) no need to stir the rice during cooking..
- Remove the foil and allow the top to brown a little..
Arroz con Pollo is a popular staple in the Caribbean kitchen. Our chicken and rice is extra special with the addition of Sazón GOYA® with Azafrán, which adds color and flavor derived from our unique saffron spice blend. Make Arroz con Pollo tonight—everyone loves an easy rice and chicken dish. Authentic Arroz Con Pollo, or Latin chicken and rice, is the ultimate one-pot meal. It's a classic Colombian dish that I grew up on that I now love to cook for my family.