Japanese Yaki Onigiri (Grilled Rice Balls). A favorite at Izakaya restaurants, Yaki Onigiri are Japanese grilled rice balls covered in savory soy sauce. With a crispy crust on the outside and soft Onigiri (recipe here) is made of white rice formed into triangular or oval shapes. Inside these rice balls, you can find fillings such as Japanese pickled.
Yaki onigiri (or yakionigiri) are Japanese rice balls that have been grilled until the outside is crisp and golden. These Japanese Yaki Onigiri are simple crispy grilled rice balls that are stuffed with avocado and salted peanuts and coated in a tasty dumpling dipping sauce and sesame. They're way easier to make than vegan sushi but so delicious thanks to their tasty crispy pan-fried rice crust on the outside while. You can cook Japanese Yaki Onigiri (Grilled Rice Balls) using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Japanese Yaki Onigiri (Grilled Rice Balls)
- Prepare 1 cup of Japanese white rice(150g).
- You need 1 tablespoon of Soy sauce.
- You need 2 teaspoons of Sugar(Brown sugar).
- Prepare To taste of Salt.
- You need 1 handful of Bonito flakes(Katsuobushi) *Optional.
- It’s 2 leaves of Bamboo leaves(Sasano-ha) *For decoration.
- You need 1 of paper Baking paper(Parchment paper).
- Prepare of Some Plastic wrap(Cling wrap).
Yaki Onigiri just has an additional step after making a simple salted rice ball. Brush a bit of oil onto a skillet and allow the outside to brown until nice and If you make any of these Onigiri / Japanese Rice Ball recipes let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on. If you have made Onigiri (rice ball) before, add one more step and try Yaki Onigiri, crunchy grilled rice ball. The recipe can be as simple as placing the rice ball on the grill and brush with soy sauce when browned.
Japanese Yaki Onigiri (Grilled Rice Balls) instructions
- Cook rice in a rice cooker..
- Combine soy sauce and sugar in a bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved..
- Add cooked rice in the bowl and mix well..
- Add bonito flakes and salt. Fold up the rice using a spatula..
- Divide the rice into 4 equal portions. Then, mould the Onigiri within the plastic wrap(cling wrap)..
- Lay the baking paper in a frying pan and arrange the rice balls. Cook both sides with medium heat until you smell good aroma of soy sauce. (*If you are using gas stove, please be very careful not to burn it. You can also choose not to use the baking paper but to use oil when grilling. Salad oil or sesame oil are recommended.).
- Place some bamboo leaves on a plate or a basket and arrange Yaki Onigiri! Enjoy!.
Here, I even made it more simple by browning Onigiri using frying pan. Japanese rice balls, also known as onigiri or omusubi, are a staple of Japanese lunch boxes (bento). They are usually shaped into rounds or triangles by hand, and they're fun to Recently, they have enjoyed a surge of popularity among food trucks where they are made fresh and grilled lightly to order. Onigiri (おにぎり, Japanese rice ball) is like a sandwich in Western culture. Why don't you take rice balls wrapped in yaki nori (roasted seaweed sheet) with grilled salted salmon for lunch?