You can have Sausage Gravy using 6 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sausage Gravy
- Prepare 1 lb of ground Sage Sausage (I used Jimmy Dean brand).
- You need 1 lb of Hot Italian Sausage.
- It’s 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 2 cup of 1% Milk.
- It’s 1 dash of granulated sugar.
- You need of ground black pepper.
Sausage Gravy step by step
- In a large pan, brown sausage over med-high heat until cooked through..
- Sprinkle flour, pepper and sugar over browned sausage and grease that has rendered. Stir flour in and continue to cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the flavors are well blended..
- Add milk to pan, slowly, while stirring. Sauce will begin to thicken. I generally add the milk a half cup at a time until I get a consistency I'm happy with. This is about 2 cups, sometimes more..
- I don't usually put sugar in the sausage gravy but added it into this one to help balance the hot, spicy sausage. If you choose to only use sage or milder sausages, eliminate the sugar. This recipe is really versatile and different spices or meats can be used. I believe, also, that any milk will work but you may need to tweak the amount some..