Arroz con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas).
You can have Arroz con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas) using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Arroz con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas)
- It’s 2 cups of Uncooked Rice.
- Prepare 1 of medium Onion small diced.
- It’s 1 can of Gandules (Pigeon Peas)(can substitute Garbanzos).
- It’s 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil.
- You need 1-8 oz. of can Tomato Sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of Minced Garlic.
- Prepare 1/8 cup of +/- Capers.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Pimento Stuffed Olives halved.
Arroz con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas) instructions
- In an appropriate sized skillet, add Olive Oil, Sofrito. Sautee for 3-5 minutes until oils are released and it becomes aromatic..
- Add Onion and Garlic taking care not to burn Garlic. Sautee until Onions are transleucent.
- Add Tomato sauce and Sazon seasoning. Stir to combine..
- Add Rice to coat with all contents..
- Add Water, Capers and Olives. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes or until water is absorbed. No peeking for 20 minutes..
- If you wish to form "Pegao" or the slight charring of the rice to the bottom of the pot, research a little to keep from ruining your batch. But at the end, you'll turn up the heat for a short period of time keeping a close eye and nose!.