Lee's Homemade Chicken and Dumplings.
You can cook Lee's Homemade Chicken and Dumplings using 24 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lee's Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
- It’s of For the chicken stock:.
- Prepare 4-5 Pound of Whole Young Chicken.
- You need 3-4 Quarts of Water.
- Prepare 1 of Large Onion Cut Into Quarters.
- You need 4 of Celery Stalks Cut Into 3" Pieces.
- Prepare 1 Teaspoon of Dried Thyme.
- You need 1 Teaspoon of Dried Oregano.
- It’s 1 Teaspoon of Whole Black Peppercorns.
- Prepare 5 Cloves of Crushed Garlic Cloves.
- Prepare 2 Tablespoons of Kosher Salt.
- You need of For the chicken soup:.
- It’s 2 Quarts of Chicken Stock.
- It’s 1 Cup of Sliced Celery.
- It’s 1 Cup of Sliced Carrots.
- You need 1 Can of Condensed Cream of Celery Soup.
- It’s 4 Cups of Cooked Shredded Chicken.
- You need 4 Tablespoons of Chopped Celery Leaves.
- You need 1 of \2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper.
- It’s of 1 + Tablespoons Kosher Salt to Taste.
- Prepare of For the Dumplings:.
- You need 2 Cups of Baking Mix (Bisquick).
- Prepare 1 Teaspoon of Seasoning Salt.
- You need 1 Tablespoons of Chopped Celery Leaves.
- You need 2/3 Cup of Whole Milk.
Lee's Homemade Chicken and Dumplings instructions
- In a large Stock pot combine the first nine ingredients. Bring up just to a slow simmer, cover and let cook for 1 to 1.5 hours. Stir around every once in a while. Stock will be done when chicken is tender. When cool enough to handle, remove the chicken and hand shred all the meat from the bones. Strain stock through a seive, discarding vegetable pieces and any other unwanted pieces. Set aside until ready for use..
- To make the soup combine the chicken stock, celery, and carrots. Bring to a low boil and let cook until vegetables are tender. Around 30 minutes. Next add the celery soup and leaves, shredded chicken meat, salt and ground pepper. Bring back to a simmer. Now is the time to adjust the salt!.
- Mix together the baking mix, seasoned salt, and chopped celery leaves. Add the milk into the dry ingredients, and stir together until a dough forms. Dough will be sticky. It helps to put the dough in the refrigerator for a short while and let chill somewhat. Makes it easier to handle..
- Spoon drop dumpling mixture into the simmering soup. Keep in mind that the dumplings will swell about twice their size as they cook. Let cook covered for 20-30 minutes until dumplings are set and fully cooked. Gently flip over halfway during the cooking time. Add additional stock if needed as the dumplings absorb some of the stock. I hope you and your family enjoy..