Wheat Berries and Ham. A wheat berry, or wheatberry, is a whole wheat kernel, composed of the bran, germ, and endosperm, without the husk. Botanically, it is a type of fruit called a caryopsis. Wheat berries have a tan to reddish-brown color and are available as either a hard or soft processed grain.
Wheat berries, also known as wheatberries, are not berries at all, but the whole kernel from a wheat plant. They are delicious and packed with fiber, protein, and other healthy elements. Wheat berries can be enjoyed in a number of ways, and make an excellent addition to any diet. You can cook Wheat Berries and Ham using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Wheat Berries and Ham
- It’s 3 cups of wheat grain/wheat berries.
- Prepare of Water to cover the wheat.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of peanut oil.
- It’s 1 can of Spam ham.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1/2 of red bell pepper cut in small cubes.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of sea salt.
- Prepare 1 of tomato cut in small cubes.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of chives, chopped finely.
- You need 1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped small.
Wheat berries are a versatile whole grain, full of vitamins and fiber, with a sweet, nutty taste and a delightful chewy texture. We are always looking for different cold salads to have in the summer along side the fabulous stuff Matt is cooking on the grill. Second, they used both wheat berries and carrots from our Farm Share. Third, It is a vegan recipe and if a vegan baked good turns out well you.
Wheat Berries and Ham instructions
- Cover the wheat with water and set aside for one hour or until the water is absorbed..
- Heat the oil and and the garlic, stir and sautéed . Then the spam ham cut into 1/2" cubes . Next the bell pepper..
- Add the wheat, continue mixing for about 2-3 minutes..
- One minute before serving add the chives and cilantro and mix. Served garnished with the tomato..
- Add 1 cup water, salt, cover and lower heat to low-medium. Cook for approximate 15 minutes or until is soft. Stir once or twice during cooking process..
Where to Find and How to Use Wheat Berries. Add some of your plain dry wheat kernels to a pot of water. Bring it to a boil and cook for a few minutes. Drain the wheat berries and stick them in a tupperware container in the fridge. These are delicious to add to yogurt or to use to replace.