Ukrainian Borscht (Beet Soup).
You can cook Ukrainian Borscht (Beet Soup) using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Ukrainian Borscht (Beet Soup)
- You need 3 of medium beets peeled and grated.
- You need 6 Tbsp of olive oil divided.
- It’s 4 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth + 6 cups water.
- It’s 5 of medium potatoes peeled and sliced into bite-sized pieces.
- It’s 2 of carrots peeled and grated.
- Prepare 2 of celery ribs trimmed and finely chopped.
- You need 1 of medium onion finely chopped.
- You need 4 Tbsp of ketchup.
- Prepare 1 can of white navy beans.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 2-3 Tbsp of white vinegar.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of black pepper freshly ground.
- You need 1 of large garlic clove pressed.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of dill.
Ukrainian Borscht (Beet Soup) step by step
- Peel, grate and/or slice all vegetables, keeping sliced potatoes in cold water until ready to use..
- Heat a large soup pot (5 1/2 Qt or larger) over medium/high heat and add 4 Tbsp olive oil. Add grated beets and sauté 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beets are softened..
- Add 4 cups chicken broth and 6 cups water. Add sliced potatoes and grated carrots then cook for 10-15 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork..
- While potatoes are cooking, place a large skillet over medium/high heat and add 2 Tbsp oil. Add chopped onion and celery. Saute stirring occasionally until softened and lightly golden (7-8 minutes). Add 4 Tbsp Ketchup and stir fry 30 seconds then transfer to the soup pot to continue cooking with the potatoes..
- When potatoes and carrots reach desired softness, add 1 can of beans, 2 bay leaves, 2-3 Tbsp white vinegar, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 pressed garlic clove, and 3 Tbsp chopped dill. Simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes and add more salt and vinegar to taste..
- Serve with vushka or garlic bread (optional) Enjoy!.