Pinto beans. Pinto Beans & Other Whole Foods: Whole Grain Cooking Our Specialty! Cover with water at least two inches above the beans. Pinto beans are simmered with onion, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and garlic.
In Spanish they are called frijol pinto [fri.ˈxol ˈpin.to], literally "speckled bean" (compare pinto horse). Put the beans in a large bowl, cover with cold water and let soak overnight. Drain and rinse the beans, then put them in a large pot. You can have Pinto beans using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pinto beans
- You need of beans.
- It’s 2 lb of dried pinto beans.
- It’s of broth.
- Prepare 1 lb of smoked ham with bone and skin.
- You need 2 tbsp of sazon seasonings.
- You need 2 tbsp of saffron flowers.
- You need 2 tbsp of pimento peppers.
- It’s 2 tbsp of chopped jalapeño peppers.
- It’s 1 tbsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of granulated garlic powder.
- It’s 1 1/4 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 1 medium of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of margarine.
- Prepare 3 1/2 quart of water.
Cover the beans with water and add the chili powder, cumin,. Pour beans into a colander and rinse under cold water. Pick through beans and discard any broken beans and debris. Transfer to a large, heavy-bottomed pot.
Pinto beans instructions
- Boil the water slice the ham add all the broth ingredients.
- Bring back to boil while thats going on check beans for bad ones and stones rinse the beans.
- When boiling add beans bring back to boil let boil 10 minutes covered.
- Turn down heat let them simmer about 2 and a half hours keep covered till ready to eat hope you enjoy.
- Serve with rice and cornbread.
To soak overnight (optional): cover beans. Put beans in large pot, add water. Check closely, as beans cook, you will probably need to add more water. Run tap water until very hot before adding to beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.