Bacon Split Pea Soup (Instant Pot). By :Instant Pot Recipe Collection Cookbook. Stir in broth and water, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot. Add split peas, half of bacon, salt, pepper Discover the wonderful world of Instant Pot®!
Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Let warm up and add butter and olive oil. Set Instant Pot to "Sauté" on medium heat. You can have Bacon Split Pea Soup (Instant Pot) using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Bacon Split Pea Soup (Instant Pot)
- It’s of split peas.
- You need of chicken broth.
- You need of bacon.
- Prepare of smoked ham hock.
- Prepare of large carrot grated.
- Prepare of small onion chopped.
- Prepare of tspn black pepper.
- You need of olive oil.
Pour in oil, then add leeks and onion and stir to coat. Add split peas and stir to coat; season with salt. Lock lid and set machine to Add bacon and cook, stirring, until bacon has released about half its fat and is starting to brown. A split pea is a dried pea that has its skin removed and is then "split." They're low-fat, super high in protein, and they have tons of fiber.
Bacon Split Pea Soup (Instant Pot) instructions
- Chop onions to desired size, chop bacon to about 1 inch squares, and grate carrot with cheese grater.
- Sauté onions with oil in instant pot for about 2 minutes, then toss in bacon 🥓 and cook until it’s the consistency of ham. They need not be crispy but you don’t want them rubbery..
- Turn off the sauté function. Add split peas, chicken broth, ham hock, carrots 🥕, and pepper. Set instant pot to 25 minutes and cook..
- Whisk hot soup before serving to break up clumps of split pea, there should be some stuck to the bottom of the pot, try not to reincorporate this into the soup. I garnished mine with fried rosemary garlic sourdough croutons..
- Complete! Share a cooksnap & tell us what you thought!.
- VARIANT: replace the bacon and ham hock with a smoked turkey leg. After soup is cooked, remove turkey leg, pull meat from bone, and return meat to soup..
What's the difference between yellow and green split peas? Green split peas tend to be a little sweeter than more mild-tasting yellow split peas. Tips for making Instant Pot split pea soup. This soup is often made with ham or bacon, but we've swapped that out for a little liquid smoke. The great thing about split peas is that they're packed with plant based protein, so this vegan soup stays filling without the meat!