Southern Boiled Peanuts. It's easy to master this roadside staple at home—boiled peanuts take hardly any effort to make. Learn how to season this Southern kitchen staple in five easy steps. Boiled peanuts are just raw peanuts that have been boiled in salted water for hours.
Ingredients of Southern Boiled Peanuts
- Prepare of Hardware.
- It’s of pot.
- It’s of Ingredients.
- You need of (1.5) pound bags of raw shell peanuts.
- Prepare of of spring water, for the soak.
- Prepare of of spring water, for the boil.
- It’s of cups of sea salt.
- You need of smoked ham hocks.
- It’s of jalapeno peppers, split.
- It’s of can of beer, (your choice).
They are an acquired taste, but according to southerners, they are totally addictive. Our step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for Southern Boiled Peanuts. Grab yourself an ice cold Nehi Soda and lets go to the drive-in. They may take a few hours to complete, but the reward of popping.
Southern Boiled Peanuts step by step
- Add the 3 bags of peanuts to the pot along with the presoak water. Cover with the lid and let sit over night. (24 hours).
- Drain the peanuts and set them aside. Wash out the pot, removing any grit from the peanuts..
- Add another 2.5 gallons of spring water. Add the salt, ham hocks, peppers, and beer to the pot. Bring to a boil..
- Once the boil begins, add the peanuts back in and let them boil for 2 to 4 hours. After the first 2 hours, begin pulling out a peanut every 30 minutes and tasting. Once they get slightly al dente, turn off the heat..
- Now here is the trick to making tasty boiled peanuts. Leave the peanuts in the brine while the pot cools. I was told that lets peanuts soak up extra flavor…..and it does..
- Grab a another cold beer and enjoy..
Boiled Peanuts (And how to choose a spouse) – Southern Plate. Boiled peanuts have been popular in the south since at least the civil war when our troops used to carry them as a large part of their. Southern Boiled Peanuts aren't your ordinary peanuts. These are a lovely, salty treat packed with flavor, are soft to the chew and are just fun to eat. You can make them spicy, zesty, mild.