Split Pea Soup. This is a hearty split pea soup has a flavorful ham bone cooked with carrots, potatoes, onions, and a pinch of marjoram. This is a wonderful, hearty split pea soup. Great for a fall or blustery winter day.
Dried split peas are cooked with ham hocks, onions, garlic, and leeks. This filling, hearty soup is perfect for cold winter days. Pea soup takes time to make, but mostly cooks unattended. You can cook Split Pea Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Split Pea Soup
- Prepare of dried split peas.
- You need of meaty ham hock with bone.
- Prepare of Bacon and bacon grease.
- It’s of Chicken drippings or chicken bouillon.
- Prepare of sliced carrots.
- You need of chopped celery.
- You need of medium sweet onion chopped.
- You need of cream.
- It’s of butter.
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
- Prepare of water.
You can start it on a weekend when you're around the house, early in the afternoon, and make enough for a few days' worth of leftovers. Pea soup or split pea soup is soup made typically from dried peas, such as the split pea. It is, with variations, a part of the cuisine of many cultures. Split Pea Soup is one of my favorite comfort meals.
Split Pea Soup instructions
- Sort through peas, clean them of any debris..
- Put peas and ham in large pan cover with 8 cups of water..
- Add onion.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn down to simmer and cover. Simmering for about 1 1/2 hours. Stirring frequently..
- Remove ham bone cut ham from bone and dice putting both both and meat back into the pot..
- Fry bacon, add grease to pot put bacon aside to crumble into soup later..
- Add carrot and celery. Simmer another 30 minutes..
- Add butter, cream and bacon crumbles. Stirring well add salt and pepper to taste. About 1 to 1 1/2 tsp each. I use less salt and let it be salted to taste by each person. Simmer another half hour stirring frequently and serve..
It's easy, inexpensive, delicious and GOOD FOR YOU! The Wolfe Pit shows you how to make a hearty pot of. It's soup weather, and split pea soup is one of my personal favorites! It's a humble soup, sure, but one that's bursting with flavor, thanks to the smoked ham hock that simmers away with the split peas. Split Pea Soup is the perfect hearty winter soup to serve your family as it is so easy-to-mak and so good!