Red Beans and Rice. Red beans and rice is an emblematic dish of Louisiana Creole cuisine (not originally of Cajun cuisine) traditionally made on Mondays with red beans, vegetables (bell pepper, onion, and celery), spices (thyme, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf) and pork bones as left over from Sunday dinner. New Orleans-Influenced, Blues-Inspired Roots Music from the Central Coast of California. Red Beans and Rice – So thick, so creamy and so flavorful!
I've done a ton of research and development for this, eating so much. Red Beans and Rice – Creole-Style Spicy Red Beans & Rice Recipe. How to Make Gumbo with Our Foolproof (Surprising) Technique and Tips for Perfect Red Beans and Rice. You can have Red Beans and Rice using 19 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Red Beans and Rice
- Prepare of soaked red beans.
- It’s of chicken stock.
- It’s of small white onions, chopped.
- Prepare of bell pepper, chopped.
- You need of celery, chopped.
- It’s of bay leaves.
- You need of andouille sausage.
- Prepare of garlic, finely minced.
- You need of smoked ham hocks.
- It’s of chopped parsley.
- Prepare of ground dry thyme.
- Prepare of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare of cumin.
- It’s of salt.
- It’s of fresh ground black pepper.
- It’s of Sliced Green Onions.
- You need of Cooked Rice.
- You need of Tabasco.
- You need of Butter.
I grew up in Louisiana and love red beans and rice; these are just like I remember–red beans made with Cajun seasonings and Andouille sausage. All Reviews for Authentic Louisiana Red Beans and Rice. Two brothers inspired by their grandma's vegan cooking 🌱 Now Touring Online! Red beans and rice is traditionally made with small red beans, but if you can't find them in your area, you can use red kidney beans (dark or light).
Red Beans and Rice instructions
- Brown andouille in a large crock pot, remove when browned on all sides, reserve..
- Add onions and sweat with a bit of salt until translucent in butter..
- Add celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until fragrant..
- Add cayenne, cumin, dry thyme, and pepper. Stir to combine..
- Add chicken stock to pot, as well as the ham hocks, bay leaves, and the soaked red beans, bring to a boil and cover, stirring occasionally..
- When beans are cooked through and tender, remove bay leaves and ham hocks (reserve the hocks), then use an immersion blender or your wooden spatula to break a portion of the beans down to give the dish a creamy texture. Reduce heat to a bare simmer..
- Slice reserved andouille, and break ham hocks down, removing the meat from the bones. Discard bones and skin. Add meats back to pot and stir to combine..
- When meat is brought up to temp (about 5 minutes), add chopped parsley, stir, and serve immediately over rice. Top with green onions and tabasco/crystal hot sauce to taste..
You'll need one pound of dry beans for this recipe. Soak the beans in water (make sure to use twice as much water as beans) overnight. Traditional Louisiana red beans and rice also uses Andouille sausage which we did not add, but you could if you wanted. There was plenty of flavor, and plenty of meat, with the smoked shanks. Place the water into an electric kettle and bring to a boil.