Rice and Ham Hock. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in rice, bell pepper, and green onions. A ham hock (or hough) or pork knuckle is the joint between the tibia/fibula and the metatarsals of the foot of a pig, where the foot was attached to the hog's leg.
White Bean and Ham Hock Soup with Arugula and Corn. Red beans and rice have long been a Southern tradition. Though the dish is associated with Louisiana, similar dishes of beans and rice and pilaus These slow cooker red beans are flavored with a variety of vegetables and a ham bone or ham hocks. You can cook Rice and Ham Hock using 7 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Rice and Ham Hock
- Prepare of unsalted ham hock, skin removed and cut into pieces.
- It’s of parsley, chopped.
- You need of rice.
- Prepare of Black pepper.
- You need of sugar.
- You need of large onion, diced.
- You need of olive oil.
Add some leftover diced ham or crumbled bacon to the. Ham hocks are inexpensive, thick cuts of leg meat that can be cooked and used in a variety of ways. You can smoke ham hocks on a smoker for a moist and flavorful option, roast them in the oven until crispy and browned, or boil them on the stove. The term "ham hock" may sound foreign and maybe even odd, but this cut of pork often plays a significant role in flavoring many popular dishes, such as collard greens or red beans and rice.
Rice and Ham Hock instructions
- I cooked the ham hock the night before in some salted water for about 2-3 hours in high/medium heat. I allowed it to completely cool before transferring to the fridge for storage until needed..
- Next I removed the skin and threw it away and then cut the meat into bitesize chunks, I removed all the meat from the bone and set it all aside including bones. I also reserved the water I it cooked in and brought it to boiling point so I can add some of the hot liquid to the rice at a later stage..
- Heat the olive oil and add the onion. Fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the cooked Ham hock and bones. Fry for a further 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally making sure it doesn't stick to the bottom. Add a small ladle of the reserved water if it starts to stick to the bottom..
- Next add the beans, sugar and pepper and stir well..
- Add the rice, parsley and 3-4 ladles of the reserved water and another 2-3 ladles of normal water..
- Simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked through. Stir occasionally and add more reserved water as needed if the rice starts to dry out too much without being cooked fully. Remove bones and serve..
More commonly known to southern cooks, the ham hock is a natural flavoring agent that is added to dishes. Here's how to cook ham hocks and beans that taste just like grandma's. Recently I got the taste for some red beans and ham hocks which I have loved so much since my early years. Excited I started toward my kitchen eventually realizing I'd need to look over my collection of recipe cards and books to. Ham Hock Recipes Pea Recipes Soup Recipes Dinner Recipes Cooking Recipes Hog Jowl Recipe Southern Black Eyed Peas Soul Food Kitchen · Try this simple black-eyed peas with ham hocks recipe, also known as Hoppin' John.