Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta. Coat inside of slow cooker with cooking spray or olive oil. Reviews for: Photos of Slow Cooker Fifteen Bean Soup. I used the leftover ham bone from Christmas supper (with LOTS of meat left on it), and some extra cooked ham – added near the end.
I actually remember her making it on New Years because it has black-eyed peas and ham in it Also, I made this in both the slow cooker and the Instant Pot/ pressure cooker. There is a time and place for both, in my opinion. Not all slow cookers cook the same so cooking time might vary. You can have Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta using 23 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta
- You need of dried hurst 15 bean soup mix with seasoning packet.
- Prepare of Optional 👇.
- You need of baking soda plus enough water to soak beans overnight.
- Prepare of diced ham or 2 to 3 ham hocks.
- It’s of small yellow onion diced.
- It’s of carrots peeled and diced.
- You need of celery peeled and diced.
- It’s of garlic minced.
- Prepare of butter.
- Prepare of dried basil.
- It’s of black pepper.
- It’s of dried thyme.
- You need of bay leaf.
- Prepare of water.
- It’s of low sodium chicken broth.
- You need of can Italian flavored diced tomatoes or use petite >.
- It’s of tomatoes with 1 tsp. Italian seasonings mixed in.
- Prepare of salt.
- It’s of chopped kale.
- You need of lemon juiced.
- Prepare of hot sauce.
- It’s of (Optional)1 1/2 cups ditalina pasta.
- You need of Shredded Parmesan cheese.
That's it and dinner is ready! This soup was a big hit at our house. Can't beat a slow cooker for sure. I love chilis in the crockpot.
Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta instructions
- Place the beans in a colander and sort out any debris, rinse beans and either add to slow cooker or to a pot and cover with water and add 1 teaspoon baking soda and let it sit overnight it's optional but i prefer it..
- If you soaked the beans give them a quick rinse and add to slow cooker.
- Add in ham, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, butter, basil, thyme, pepper, bay leaf, broth and water.
- Cover slow cooker and don't open lid while cooking. Set on high for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours remove bay leaf and shred ham hocks if used and discard bone and add in tomatoes, hot sauce, kale, salt, lemon juice and pasta if adding. Stir up and cover and cook for 20 more minutes and then stir in flavor packet that was in with the beans. Serve and top with some Parmesan cheese if desired. It's also great with buttered cornbread on the side. Enjoy !.
But if you want to cook it on low it will take at least twice that long. When the beans are soft and the beef is fork tender you know your chili is done! You'll add in the tomato products (the acid in the tomatoes keeps the beans from getting tender so. I am really getting into using my slow cooker! Because it's just the two of us, I don't bring them out too often because the size of slow cookers I own are too large for two servings.