Malay Spicy Tomato Chicken (Ayam Masak Merah). Ayam Masak Merah (Spicy Tomato Chicken). theMEATMENchannel. All Reviews for Spicy Tomato Chicken (Ayam Masak Merah). Followed the recipe and it turned out well.
Lucky me, Bee had made it easier by suggesting Ayam Masak Merah or chicken cooked in rich creamy spicy tomato sauce. Cooked in garlic, tomato sauce, cayenne chillies, lemongrass, turmeric, cinnamon, star anise, cloves and cardamom, this Malay Spicy Tomato Chicken Heat the pan over medium-high heat and add the ½ tsp of oil. Once the pan is hot, place the chicken in the pan with the skin on the pan. You can cook Malay Spicy Tomato Chicken (Ayam Masak Merah) using 25 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Malay Spicy Tomato Chicken (Ayam Masak Merah)
- It’s 350 g of Chicken meat (skinless, deboned).
- You need of Blended Paste;.
- You need 4 cloves (40 g) of Shallots.
- You need 3 cloves (20 g) of Garlic.
- You need 1/2 inch (10 g) of Turmeric root.
- It’s 1 inch (20 g) of Galangal.
- It’s 1 inch (20 g) of Ginger.
- Prepare 1 stalk (20 g) of Lemongrass.
- Prepare 6 pc of Dried Chillies (soak in warm water).
- Prepare of For Braising;.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of Tomato Puree.
- Prepare 1 cup of Coconut Milk.
- It’s 2 pc of Tamarind slices.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Palm sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of Salt (to your taste).
- Prepare 1 stick of Cinnamon.
- Prepare 2 pc of Star Anise.
- It’s 3 pods of Cardamom.
- You need 3 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Ghee (optional).
- You need of Optionals;.
- Prepare 1 of Tomato (quartered).
- Prepare 1 of Onion (Sliced).
- You need 1 Tbsp of Ketchup.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Chili Sauce.
Ayam Masak Merah is a Malay/Indonesian dish which is spicy and sweet at the same time. Pieces of chicken are first pan-fried to a golden brown then slowly simmered in a spicy tomato sauce. This popular Malay dish is especially scrumptious with Nasi Tomato (tomato rice). Malaysian chicken in tomato sauce recipe (called Ayam Masak Merah) is the traditional Malay dish serve on the banquet table.
Malay Spicy Tomato Chicken (Ayam Masak Merah) instructions
- Heat the oil (and Ghee if you like) in the wok at high heat. Fry the cinnamon, star anise and cardamom until fragrant (10 seconds). Then add the blended paste and chicken. Mix well and fry until the oil separates..
- Once the oil separates, turn down the heat and add the coconut milk, palm sugar, tamarind slices, tomato puree and salt. Cover the wok and cook between 10 to 20 minutes (depends on how you cut your chicken), stirring occasionally every 5 minutes until sauce thickens. Chicken is ready to serve..
- OPTIONAL; in step 2 you can also add tomatoes, onions and if you like you can also add ketchup and chilli sauce..
The flavor is the result of the complex interplay of various spices. I am going to show you how to bring this authentic Malay cuisine regularly served on the banquet table to. In Malay, we call it "Ayam Masak Merah". It literally means chicken cook red or with better 'grammar', chicken cooked in red. However, I can't very well call So, I'm calling it whatever I want to call it which is One Pan Chicken in Spicy Tomato Sauce.