California Roll. A California roll or California maki is a makizushi sushi roll that is usually rolled inside-out, and containing cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado. Sometimes crab salad is substituted for the crab stick, and often the outer layer of rice in an inside-out roll (uramaki). Snoop Dogg – California Roll (Live on the Honda Stage at the iHeartRadio Theater LA).
Learn how to make this popular sushi roll that is filled with fresh avocado, crab meat and Japanese mayo. Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado. Although I prefer using real crab meat, if you don't have access to fresh seafood, imitation crab (a.k.a. surimi) will do in a pinch. You can have California Roll using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of California Roll
- It’s 12 slice of A) Smoked salmon.
- You need 8 of pieces A) Snow crab.
- It’s 1 of A) Avocado.
- It’s 1 of A) Mayonnaise.
- Prepare 1 of A) Buckwheat sprouts or radish sprouts.
- You need 1 of Tobiko (flying fish roe).
- Prepare 1 dash of Lemon juice.
- It’s 1 of White sesame seeds.
- You need 4 of sheets Large nori seaweed.
- Prepare 1 of Sushi rice.
- You need 1 of Soy sauce with wasabi mixed in.
Cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap. Cut nori sheets in half crosswise. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal.
California Roll instructions
- Cut the avocado vertically around the pit with a knife. Remove the pit and skin and slice into 1 cm wide slices. Sprinkle with some lemon juice to retain the color..
- Line the sushi rolling mat with plastic wrap. Mix up the tobiko evenly and spread over the nori. Top with the sushi rice and lightly press down..
- The nori is won't stick everything together, so if you pack it too full of sushi rice and fillings, it will break. Be careful not to use too much rice or filling..
- Put the "A" ingredients on top, just off-center. Carefully roll it all up, being careful to roll the fillings in. At the same time, you can add tobiko to some white sesame seeds to roll on the outside..
- Cut the roll into large bite-sized pieces to finish. Eat with some wasabi and soy sauce..
- Aside from buckwheat sprouts and radish sprouts, you can use other sprouts, shiso leaves, kale, arugula, sweet and sour ginger, etc..
- For the filling, I also recommend roast beef or cured ham, cream cheese, etc..
You can use real or imitation crab. Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side. A California roll is a creative American twist on sushi. This page will describe the California Uramaki. Uramaki has nori or seaweed on the inside and the rice on the outside, as opposed to a regular sushi.