Cheesy chicken mac and cheese with veggies. When done cooking, drain noodle and veggie mixture. Return noodles and veggies to pot, add chicken and, over medium heat, stir in cheese, milk, butter and spices until creamy and everything is warmed through. Homemade mac and cheese with grilled steak or chicken is the ultimate comfort food.
I doubled the topping and also topped with sliced American cheese. However it still wasn't cheesy enough. For a baked mac and cheese, top it with breadcrumbs and finish it in the oven. You can cook Cheesy chicken mac and cheese with veggies using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Cheesy chicken mac and cheese with veggies
- Prepare 2 of chicken breasts.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- It’s 1/2 cup of water.
- It’s 8 ounces of dried elbow macaroni.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, thinly sliced.
- It’s 1 of small onion, chopped.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of butter.
- You need 3 cups of water.
- Prepare 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces).
- Prepare 4 ounces of cream cheese, cut into cubes.
- You need 3/4 cup of half-and-half.
- It’s 2 cups of coarsely torn fresh spinach (optional).
Made this a second time and it was still soooo good! Left out the chicken sausage this time and instead added a bag of spinach. I always bake Mac and Cheese but don't want it to ruin the veggies 🙂. Return blended veggies to the pot over medium heat, and add the milk, cheese, and cream cheese.
Cheesy chicken mac and cheese with veggies instructions
- Cook the chicken on the stove, sprinkle with 1/4 salt and pepper.
- In a different pot, boil water for the elbow macaroni. After water comes to a complete boil. Put the noodles in the pot and let them boil for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Mix in the thinly sliced carrots, chopped onion, minced garlic, butter and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the elbow macaroni. Pour the 3 cups of water over all in the pot. Cook on high for 2 minutes. DO NOT DRAIN THE LIQUID..
- Add cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and half-and-half to macaroni mixure in the pot. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and mixture is well combined..
- Chop up the chicken. Stir into the hot macaroni and cheese. If desired, stir in spinach just before serving..
Chicken and cheese are made for each other in the ultimate comfort food — easy chicken mac and cheese. Meanwhile, my wife and I usually like it dressed up a bit, either by adding a handful of crispy breadcrumbs as a topper over each bowl for a little texture, or by mixing in some roasted veggies. Somewhere in the midst of that conversation, I mentioned that I had just made an epic batch of Broccoli Chicken Mac & Cheese earlier that day, but had writer's block and couldn't think of what on earth to write about it other than the fact. It's nearly the universal comfort food, and there are SO many variations! Combine cheese sauce with cooked pasta.