Pork Miso Soup (Tonjiru). Tonjiru is a savory miso soup with pork and root vegetables. Packed with an excellent source of vitamins, it's absolutely nourishing and soul-fulfilling! If you ask me what is my favorite miso soup, I would immediately say Tonjiru (豚汁).
This film of oil keeps the soup hot, which is perfect on a cold day. If you know how to make miso soup, you can make tonjiru easily. All you need to do is to sauté pork then vegetables, cook in dashi stock (preferred) or water and add. You can cook Pork Miso Soup (Tonjiru) using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pork Miso Soup (Tonjiru)
- It’s 200 g of thinly sliced pork rib.
- Prepare 100 g of carrot.
- Prepare 100 g of onion.
- It’s 100 g of white Daikon raddish.
- You need 1/4 of gobo (burdock root, optional).
- You need 1/2 of tofu or atsuage (thick deep fried tofu).
- It’s 100 g of konnyaku.
- You need 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- It’s 1000 mL of Dashi broth (or dissolve 1 tbsp Dashi powder in 1000 mL of water).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of soy sauce : (A).
- Prepare 3 tbsp of miso : (A).
- Prepare 1 tsp of sesame oil : (A).
We are making healthy, nutritious Tonjiru, pork miso soup with lots of vegetables. The root vegetables and pork will warm you up. Tonjiru or Butajiru (豚汁,とん汁,とんじる) – both literally mean pig/pork soup — is a Japanese soup made with pork and vegetables, flavoured with miso. Compared to normal miso soup, tonjiru tend to be more substantial, with a larger quantity and variety of ingredients added to the soup.
Pork Miso Soup (Tonjiru) step by step
- Cut the daikon and carrot into quarter slices. Thinly slice the burdock root diagonally and thinly. Cut the onion into bite-size chunks..
- Cut the tofu and the Konnyaku into bite-size chunks. Boil the Konnyaku for 2-3 minutes to remove their scum. Cut the sliced pork into 2 cm width..
- Add the vegetable oil and the pork in a pot. Stir-fry over medium heat until its colour changes..
- Pour the Dashi broth. Heat over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Skim the scum from the soup..
- Add the Atsuage (or tofu) and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes..
- Add the condiments (A) to dissolve miso..
Tonjiru (or Butajiru) is a kind of Miso Soup with pork and a lot of root vegetables such as Gobo (burdock root) and carrot. Even though it is a Miso soup, Tonjiru tastes very different from ordinary Miso Soup. Tonjiru has a distinct pork flavor and strong taste from Gobo. This tonjiru recipe combines miso soup with sliced pork and root vegetables for a hearty and filling soup meal that is quick and easy to prepare. Warm yourself up during the winter with this easy tonjiru pork soup recipe.