Mexican Meatball soup aka Sopa de Albondigas. Mexican sopa de albóndigas is no exception. Most variations are likely to involve vegetables, rice, a tomato-based broth and, inevitably, meatballs. Wesley Avila, the chef of Guerrilla Tacos in Los Angeles, learned this recipe from his mother, who learned it from her grandmother.
Add in the meatballs one at a time until they are all in the pot. Gently stir the soup to make sure the meatballs are incorporated in with the broth and vegetables. Great recipe for Mexican Meatball soup aka Sopa de Albondigas. You can have Mexican Meatball soup aka Sopa de Albondigas using 22 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mexican Meatball soup aka Sopa de Albondigas
- It’s of Sauce.
- It’s 5 of roma tomatoes.
- It’s 1/4 of a small onion.
- It’s 1 clove of garlic.
- Prepare of Soup.
- You need 10 cup of boiling water (or as needed/desired).
- Prepare 1/2 head of Onion (medium sized).
- It’s 3 clove of garlic.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of carrots (diced).
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of chayote (diced).
- You need 2 cup of potatoes (sliced).
- It’s 1 3/4 cup of zucchini (thinly sliced).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of KNORR Beef flavor bouillon or any kind of bouillon of your liking.
- It’s 1 of Salt to taste.
- Prepare 5 of Cilantro with stems.
- You need of Meatballs.
- You need 1 lb of ground beef (or any ground meat of your choice).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of white rice.
- You need 1 of egg.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of mint (finely chopped).
- It’s tsp of 1/8 of salt.
- You need 1 tbsp of all purpose flour (optional).
We like everything natural at our house so my hubby and I came up with the idea to make our own tomatoe sauce, so simple but delicious. The great thing about this recipe is you can improvise on any vegetables you like. This recipe is adjusted from the book The Cuisines of Mexico by Mrs. In her book the name of the recipe appears as: "Albondigas de Jalisco", and as she has mentioned, every region has its own recipe and my guess is that everyone will say: "my mom's albondiga's soup is the best".
Mexican Meatball soup aka Sopa de Albondigas instructions
- In a big pot boil the water along with the garlic and the onion. (On medium to low heat) Cover with a lid..
- Blend together the tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a blender (do not add water into the blender). Then add the sauce to the boiling pot. Cover with a lid and wait until it begins to bubble. TIP: If you feel like it may need more water then do so in 1/2 cup increments..
- In a seperate bowl, mix with your hands or with a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, the ground beef, mint, egg, rice, salt, and flour. Form into balls (about the size of a golf ball), set them aside..
- Peel your vegetables (except zucchinis) and cut them thinly or into small cubes. Place the carrots and chayote in a bowl. In a seperate bowl place the zucchinis. Place the potatoes in a bowl of water and set them aside. TIP: This prevents the potatoes from browning and it removes the starch from the potatoes..
- Once you notice your soup boiling add your meatballs to the pot, carefully. Cover with a lid and wait for it to boil again (around 5-10 minutes depending on your stove)..
- Once you notice your meatballs are beginning to darken and your soup is boiling, add the carrots and chayote. Cover with a lid. Make sure you have this over a low heat, you do not want to overcook your meat and veggies. TIP: If you begin to notice grease foam at the top of the pot, you may use a ladel to remove as much as you can without removing to much water..
- Once your pot is boiling again, check the carrots and chayote. Take one of each out of the pot. Check to see if its ready by cutting into it with a knife. If you feel a lot of resistance, then cover the pot and allow to boil for another 5 minutes. Check again and if you feel that it shows little resistance then add the potatoes. (Make sure to drain the potatoes, do not add them with the water filled with starch). Cover the pot. Boil for a few minutes. TIP: Make sure everytime you add a new ingredient or vegetable that its not fully cooked. Otherwise you will end up with a soggy mess..
- Add the zucchinis lastly, and cover with a lid and allow to boil for 5 minutes. Add your seasoning. Salt to taste, bouillon, and cilantro leaves. You may leave out the 1/2 onion. Cover with the lid and allow to boil for a few minutes longer. Turn off the heat. You can let it sit for a bit or serve yourseld. Enjoy!.
Mexican Meatball Soup – Sopa de Albondigas is pure Mexican comfort food made with love, then ladled in a favorite bowl to be enjoyed on a cold day. This fabulous soup centers around the famous Mexican Albondigas or Meatballs made with lean ground beef, rice, minced onions, garden fresh parsley, mint, oregano, and cumin, served in a warm broth with seasonal veggies sopa de conchas; Chile colorado; Mexican meatball soup. This amazing meatball soup will soon become a family favorite. Especially during the chilly fall and winter months when all you want is something warm, filling and delicious in your belly! I really hope you give this recipe a try.