Chicken and Ginger Soup with Chayote & Spinach(Tinolang Manok). This recipe takes chicken soup to the next level because it uses real, healthy and flavorful ingredients such as organic free-range chicken, ginger and What makes this chicken soup special is the addition of Moringa leaves and chayote. Recipe Pairing Guides » Chicken Recipes » Chayote Soup with Lemongrass and Ginger. Tender chayote squash with a hint of spice from ginger, red pepper flakes, and garlic, make a delightful and different vegetable side dish for your meals.
What I love about this dish is that the ginger enhances the flavor of the soup. It is something that will surely give you a warm and comforting feeling even during the. Tinola recipe – Filipino ginger chicken soup with chayote, lemongrass and malunggay leaves. You can cook Chicken and Ginger Soup with Chayote & Spinach(Tinolang Manok) using 13 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken and Ginger Soup with Chayote & Spinach(Tinolang Manok)
- It’s 4 of large chicken thighs, skin on, bone-in.
- You need to taste of Sea salt,.
- You need to taste of Cracked black pepper,.
- You need 1 teaspoon of canola oil.
- Prepare 2 of two-inch pieces fresh ginger, each about thumb-sized, peeled and julienned.
- It’s 4 of fat cloves garlic, peeled and chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 of large onion, rough chopped.
- It’s 2 quarts of water.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of fish sauce.
- It’s 1 of large chayote, peeled, cut in half lengthwise then cut crosswise into ½-inch thick slices.
- You need 1 tablespoon of Knorr chicken bouillon.
- Prepare 5-6 ounce of bag ready to use baby spinach.
- It’s 1 of lime, cut into 4 wedges, for serving.
Chayote-Jicama Salsa can be made with any of your favorite heirloom tomatoes and is a great complement to any summer party. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and can also calm an upset stomach. We love the heat it adds to this chicken soup recipe. When cool enough to handle, coarsely shred meat; discard skin and bones.
Chicken and Ginger Soup with Chayote & Spinach(Tinolang Manok) step by step
- Liberally season thighs with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the oil in a dutch oven or large soup pot on medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken, browning on both sides. Remove chicken to a plate and drain away all but 1 tablespoon of the chicken fat..
- Add the ginger to the pot and sauté for 1 minute then add a splash of water, stirring to loosen up the browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan..
- Continue stirring for one minute then add the onions and garlic, sautéing until the vegetables are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes longer..
- Return the chicken to the pot along with any juices they released..
- Pour in 2 quarts of water, add the fish sauce and bouillon, stirring well to incorporate then cover and bring to a boil..
- As soon as the soup starts to boil, turn down the heat to the lowest setting to just barely produce a simmer and set a timer for 35 minutes..
- Once the timer goes off, remove the chicken to a clean platter; set aside..
- Carefully strain the soup, discarding the now spent veggies..
- Rinse out the dutch oven or soup pot and return it to the heat on medium low, add back the now strained and clear broth..
- Remove and discard the skins from the chicken. Using two forks, shred the chicken, pulling it away from the bones; discard the bones and return the shredded chicken to the simmering broth..
- Taste the broth and add more salt if needed..
- Add the chayote and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the vegetable is fork tender but still firm..
- Turn off the heat. Add the spinach, pushing it down so it's submerged..
- Place the lid on the pot and let the spinach wilt for two minutes.
- Garnish with a squeeze of lime..
Place a fine-mesh sieve over another large pot; strain broth. The ginger gives the chicken soup a great kick. This was easy and delicious, and the ginger gave the otherwise standard chicken soup a unique kick. My two year old gobbled it up, even all the veggies. Chayotes are a staple of Mexico and Costa Rica, are high in vitamin C, low in calories, and are a good source of fiber.